As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Ferret Epigen 90 moves conventional dry extruded ferret foods much closer to the high protein meat-based, starchless foods carnivores are genetically designed for and is the first dry diet/kibble ferret food that is Starch Free.
The Food Chart Score
All Foods are given a ranking in points, and point ranges are divided into tiers.
Green Tier: Excellent Foods that a ferret can thrive on.* These all have a minimum of 40% protein. Most of them are grain-free and provide a promise of at least 75% animal ingredients.
*note that Epigen cat/dog is an exception that has excellent protein levels, but does not contain enough fat for a ferret to thrive on (it is 11-12% fat) and is thus recommended as a treat or ‘mixer’ only.
Blue Tier: Solidly good foods. Most of them meet a ferret’s basic requirements for protein and do so without using meat by-products.
Orange Tier: A ferret could certainly live on these foods, but I would not personally expect them to thrive. I would recommend switching or mixing with a higher quality food.
Red Tier: Foods that I would personally NOT consider to be suitable for a ferret.
- If you’re entirely new to ferret nutrition and would like a crash course to help understand this logic, visit our Ferret Nutrition for Newbies- Where to Start page.
- While we believe that high quality kitten foods are ferret-suitable (especially compared to some of the low-end ferret foods out there), there are also people who don’t. If you’re not comfortable feeding cat food, don’t do it. You can scroll down to the bottom of the page to disclude cat foods or change the chart’s scoring system if you disagree with our scoring setup.
- I’m not a vet, so please consider my word to be professional medical advice. Read our full disclaimer here.
- DON’T feed only one food. Pick 2 or 3 foods and mix them or rotate (read why here).
- Whole prey or raw meat is generally regarded as the very best diet, I recommend checking it out before making any decisions.
Each food is updated individually for formula changes. The oldest entry shown here was last updated on January 13, 2012.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.